Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day

I know its a few days past Mother's Day but I still wanted to post about my first ever Mother's Day. There were times over the past few years where I didn't think I would ever be able to celebrate a Mother's Day but yet, here I am. I'm so so thankful. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a mom. After Rusty and I got married, like most couples, we talked about how long we wanted to wait before we started a family. When we moved from West Lafayette to Indianapolis, I felt VERY ready to start a family. But I knew it wasn't quite the right time. We wanted to be in a house and be more financially secure. Finally, the summer of 2006 came and it was finally time. Finally time to become a mom. Little did we know that OUR plans weren't GOD'S plans. Go figure :) I ended up getting pregnant in January 2008, 1 1/2 years after we started trying. I know in the grand scope of things, that really isn't THAT long, but to me, to us, it felt like an eternity. I wondered what God was trying to teach me, teach us? Why did God put this desire in my heart if it wasn't to be? I prayed and prayed that if it wasn't God's will for us to have children, to remove that desire from my heart. Adoption was always in the back of my mind, but I'd always looked at pregnant women with envy. I WANTED to be pregnant, to experience everything. I saw friends get pregnant that weren't even trying. I heard about teenagers getting pregnant. But not us. I knew God had a plan for us but sometimes it just felt so unfair. I humbly praise Him for not letting this waiting period make us bitter. And of course, now looking back, God's timing was perfect. And, with all we went through, my first Mother's Day was that much sweeter. I now look at my darling, sweet baby girl and she is a constant reminder to me of God's love and faithfulness. I'm so honored that God chose me to be her mamma. My prayer for this first Mother's Day, and for every Mother's Day is that I will never forget God's perfect timing, God's faithfulness, God's steadfast love.
I've been given the ultimate gift.

3 comments:

philip+anne said...

thanks for that.

Heather said...

I totally agree. Your story is just like our story. How weird is that. God is sure amazing. Im glad your mother's day was a great one. Ella is getting big! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Marguerite said...

I love your heart for the Lord expressed through this. God is so good all the time.